A car accident can be overwhelming, and important steps could be overlooked in the emotional aftermath. But to receive fair compensation for your damages, there are critical actions you must take immediately after the crash. Collecting proper evidence can help you and your lawyer build a solid case to get you the compensation you deserve for injuries and losses.
Take Steps to Protect Your Claim
If you haven’t been badly injured in the accident, there are specific actions you should take immediately following the incident to ensure the best possible outcome in your personal injury claim. These actions include:
- Gather the other driver’s contact information and that of any other passengers in his vehicle.
- Speak with people who may have witnessed the accident, and write down their contact info.
- Take photos and videos of the crash scene, damages, and visible injuries.
- Call the police and, if necessary, an ambulance.
- Call your insurance company to report the accident.
Actions That Could Hurt Your Claim
Knowing the right steps to take following a crash can help your claim, but you should also know what to avoid doing, as well. Avoiding the following will further protect your claim and assist you in securing a fair recovery:
- Apologizing or saying anything that could be taken as an admission of fault
- Signing any documents
- Throwing away evidence such as car parts or bloody clothing
- Moving the vehicles, unless it is absolutely necessary for safety or legal reasons
Virginia Is Strict on Fault
In car accident cases, Virginia imposes the rule of pure contributory negligence to determine liability. This means you will be ineligible to recover for your injuries and losses if you’re found to have contributed to the cause of the accident by even 1%. Taking the correct steps and avoiding the wrong ones could mean the difference between a fair recovery or none at all.
Call an Experienced Attorney Today
If you’ve recently been in a car accident, it’s important to contact an attorney who can help you understand your options for recovery. The team at Kearney, Freeman, Fogarty & Joshi is ready to speak with you, evaluate your case, and get you on the road to recovery. To speak with a member of our team, call our toll-free phone number today.