The breakup of a marriage affects everyone differently. Some are distraught and suffer emotionally, others feel as if a burden was lifted and they are finally able to move on with their life. At the law office of Kearney, Freeman, Fogarty & Joshi, PLLC, our attorneys are here to help you through this difficult time and preserve your financial rights during the process of marital property division.
Equitable Distribution Law Protects Your Rights, Your Family, and Your Future
In Virginia, property is divided according to equitable distribution laws, meaning that property is divided in a manner that is deemed to be fair — not necessarily equal. Our attorneys take full inventory of all marital property and determine the value of the property through appraisals and other means to ensure property distribution is in fact fair and equitable. We ensure that all assets and liabilities are accounted for, including:
- Real estate, such as the marital home or vacation properties
- Pension or retirement plans, such as 401(k)s or IRAs
- Bank accounts, such as checking, savings, mutual funds or CDs
- Vehicles, such as cars, trucks, motor homes and recreational vehicles
- Personal property, such as artwork, furniture or jewelry
- Business property, such as stock options and business interests
- Debts, such as credit card debts, personal loans, mortgage and vehicle loans
Our attorneys understand that you have worked hard to establish yourself financially and collect personal belongings. A divorce should not mean that you have to relinquish control of all of your property rights. Our divorce attorneys help clients obtain fair marital property agreements through negotiated property settlements or litigated verdicts. We work hard to preserve your rights and interests.
Contact our family lawyers for experienced representation in divorce and property division matters in Fairfax and throughout Northern Virginia.
For general information about family law, view our Family Law Information.
Call us today at 877-652-1553